Friday, January 20, 2012

Be Your Own Champion!

Hi Everyone,

Today I had the pleasure of shooting new headshots with Joanna Brooks, who is such a lovely woman and boy can she take a picture!  From the shots I saw, I was chuffed with the results.  For anyone who hasn't had headshots done, let me take you through the process.  The night before the shoot, I go through my whole wardrobe and essentially bring almost all of it to the shoot.  You think I am kidding, which I am, but I literally took 3/4 of my wardrobe with me today.  I had a full suitcase of clothes, with jewelry, shoes, hair essentials, makeup, hair bands, etc.  When I arrived at Joanna's, she greeted me with a hug and some extra hands, since I also had clothes on hangers along with the suitcase and my pocketbook.  So, I looked like a bag lady, but cleaner and crazier.  I then got the opportunity to meet Joel, who was my makeup artist.    Joanna and I went through my whole wardrobe and then we discussed the roles that my three looks were to represent according to what I wanted.  So after that, I hopped in the makeup chair to get all "purty" for the camera.

During the makeup process, this is the time for everyone to get to know each other.  I had met Joanna last year and I really liked her style and I got the sense that she would be able to capture who I am because I felt comfortable with her.  Getting to talk with her and Joel I was reminded of the fact that she made me comfortable.  During this whole process, she had music playing on her ipod and I have to say I couldn't help wiggling in my seat to the music or singing along to Adele when she started to play.

This headshot session was all about me getting headshots with my glasses.  For the past 4 years or so I have been forcing myself to be this woman who isn't me in the headshots.  All my past headshots are of me without my glasses and sometimes the makeup is too much for me personally.  In real life, I just don't look like that and in the past year, I have been meeting so many people in the industry with my glasses that they can't remember who I am by the old headshot, it just isn't me.

After each look, Joanna would let me see a few of the photos and they look fantastic!  The makeup is natural, my eyes pop in them and I have a personality shining through.  I could see how agents and casting directors would cast me all of a sudden, just by the shot.  It is pretty amazing!

On another front, the restaurant I work for closed for renovations, so I am going to be doing temp work in the mean time.  I have an interview on Monday and I am excited about it, because the temp agency works with a lot of non profit.  As some of you know, I have a urge to change the world, but I haven't really been able to find the balance between my love for acting and wanting to do something that means something in the long run.  I think I might have figured something out though.   It is funny how life works, because I wrote a bucket list last week and one of the things I put down was to volunteer with the program No One Dies Alone.  It is a program I read about in O Magazine a few years ago and I never made time to sign up in NYC, so now that I have time, I signed up for it last week and I have training on Sunday.  I am also hard at work writing up the last of my webisodes and I am so excited for it!  I don't know what has happened in the last few weeks, but I finally understand that if I want to get out of the restaurant business, get out of it.  If I want to write, I write.  If I want to help others, I help others. If I want to act, I get new headshots :P  I have to put one foot in front of the other and believe in myself.  That has been a hard lesson for me to learn, because for some reason I never thought of myself worthy of my dreams and aspirations.  It wasn't until I began studying at the acting conservatory that I knew that if I wanted to be an actor, I had to learn to be my own champion.  It has only been in the past week that I have realized I can be my own champion in all parts of my life.  How wonderful is that?  I have a headshot to prove it!

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your blog Tara! Can't wait to see the headshots!

    ReplyDelete