Thursday, October 7, 2010

Waiting For Superman

Hi Everyone,

I noticed in the last two days I have been on my "something must be done" kick.  Tonight, I saw the documentary, Waiting for "Superman".  It is about the state of the U.S. education system.  And it isn't pretty.  I have learned a lot about the system due to my sister and the trials and tribulations she must go through as a teacher.  But this movie, opens the spectrum to what the U.S. would be like in 10 years.

They followed students from D.C., L.A., NYC and Silicon Valley.  They picked mostly urban schools due to the higher drop out rate there, but as they did their research rural areas were also just as high as urban areas.  Most 8th graders are between 12%-35% of where they should be in reading and math depending on the state as a whole.  Our students are at the same learning level as students from 1971, but in 1971 there was a 12% chance students went to college, now in 2010 one must go to college.  One parent was asked, "Why do you want your daughter to go to college?"  She answered, "I want her to have a career, not a job."  That resonated with me.  I think that is what my parents wanted for me and my siblings.  They wanted us to have a better life.

I don't want to give too much a way , but the children in this documentary are children and they are the reason for our future.  I was angered at the bureaucracy that the education system has created along with the government, that has hindered the system to grow and compete against developing countries, like China and India.  The statistics alone are maddening and inspire me to do something.  There are children from low income homes that want to have a better life, they want to succeed.  In the end it is the adults they depend on as teachers, principals and school board members that cheat them out of a good education.

Until tomorrow.  Take care and be safe.

All my love,

Tara

1 comment:

  1. Great... I can't wait to see it! I already get frustrated by things that are going on in my school alone, forget about what's going on in our whole nation. This should be interesting. I am sure I will learn things that I didn't even know about. Thanks for letting me know about this Tara, I probably would have had no idea other wise.

    ReplyDelete