Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Something Must Be Done

Hi Everyone,

Tonight I am going to write about a topic that has been bothering me a lot in the last few days.  Recently there have been a slew of stories about young gay youths committing suicide because of bullying.  The particular story of the college student whose roommate secretly filmed him having sex with another man and then putting it on the internet for all to see really got me angry and my heart goes out to the family of the student who committed suicide because of it.  Why would anyone do such a thing?  It makes me not want to have children if there are going to be people like that or people who defend the boy who taped it.  What events happened in the  "tapers" life that makes it okay to treat others with such disregard?

Jen and I were talking about it this afternoon and we both wondered if children born from 1990 on don't have the social skills, the interaction skills or the sense of right and wrong that a lot of us grew up on because they are inundated with technology and reality television.  For example, most teenagers now don't interact with one another by talking, they interact by texting, internet, and email.  They walk around with either a cell phone or an ipod in their ear and are glued to their laptops in their rooms watching and "talking" to friends online.  When I was 16, I had to listen to the radio in my room.  The computer was in the "computer room" and was used by the whole family and I was only allowed to talk on the phone before 7PM.  Every other time I had to actually see my friends and hang out with them.

I see a huge difference between my sister and I.  She was born 8 years after me and whenever she is around she is always on her phone, either taking calls, or texting.  To the point I have said many times, I think it is rude that she visits me, but she isn't really giving me her time.  Granted, I use the internet on a daily basis, check my email I don't know how many times and feel lost if I accidently forget my cell phone at home, but I do put a limit on my computer time.

The story of bullying is not new, but in this day, anyone can see your humiliation if it is filmed off a cell phone, camera or computer cam and posted on the internet.  Being bullied is hard enough, knowing that thousands of people are watching your humiliation must be unspeakably devastating!  My heart goes out to the youths and their families who are victims of bullying, because it is hard to fend for yourself when millions are rewinding bullying incidents on Youtube.

Until tomorrow.  Take care and be safe.

All my love,

Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment