Monday, September 13, 2010

The Los Angeles Agent Book

Hi Everyone,

I have to talk about this book I bought at Samuel French the other day.  It is titled, The Los Angeles Agent Book by K Callan.  K played Clark Kent's mom, in Lois and Clark and has been in the business for years.  The first 2 chapters are all about when an actor is ready to move out to L.A., what to think about before you do move, after that, she goes into the business of being an actor.  I think this book is fantastic for any actor, you can be in L.A., NYC, or Timbuktu.  The quotes she has from agents, managers and casting directors are full of information, but then she goes into great detail about what to expect as a new actor and how to market yourself.  She presents questions that all of us need to ask, so that we figure out how to market ourselves.  I can't say enough about this book.  If you are an actor, I recommend it highly.

Having read the book, I realize I still have a lot of work to do.  I am definitely not ready to be knocking on agents doors yet, I need to train more.  It is a blow to my ego, because I would love to say that I am "ready" to be a professional actor, but that isn't fully true.  I know as an actor, even though I want to be on television I am not ready to have a starring role.  I don't have the credits yet that have established me as a person agents would pick out of the bunch.  I have been doing this for three years, but not to my full potential, so I have made a promise to myself to work on being an actor full time.  I am going to be happy when I start getting auditions on a regular basis, but that hasn't happened yet, but I plan on getting to that point.

For the past three years, I have used my emotions to make business decisions, that helps to a point.  I also have to be smart about it and most of the time in the past, I have been too lazy to be smart about it.  It was more about me wanting something without waiting for the opportune time.  I was more about forcing events into fruition than letting them happen organically.  Also I noticed that in the past I was always intimidated by agents, managers, actors that worked, but I don't feel that way anymore.  I now see them as people I can learn from and are excited to meet and talk to.  I am going to have lunch with an old classmate of mine who is now a casting director here in Los Angeles next week and I can't wait to ask her question and her opinion on the business, because she is seeing it from a totally different viewpoint now.  Can you tell I am excited?

Until tomorrow.  Take care and be safe.

All my love,

Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment