Saturday, August 7, 2010

Sense Memory

Hi Everyone,

This morning Jen squealed in surprise because she forgot that I had gotten my haircut.  I had to laugh because I had the same reaction in the morning when I looked in the mirror for the first time.  I mentally forgot what it was like to have short hair.  Don't get me wrong, I love it, I forgot how much so.

I don't remember ever having short hair until I was in college.  I broke up with a guy and decided to cut it like Winona Ryder in Reality Bites.  I loved that hair cut.  I loved that I had a boy's hair cut because I never felt so feminine as I did with that cut.  It's ironic.  I liked that all I had to do some days was ruffle my hair and it was done.  I loved that it stuck up in all directions when I woke up in the morning.  I loved that I had to accent myself with earrings and jewelry.  It was also when I began wearing dresses.  I never wore dresses before that.  It seemed to be too much work and I wasn't comfortable that my calves were two different sizes.

It's funny how things that bothered you when you were younger have no basis in your life now.  Now, I wear sundresses anytime I can.  I love the flowy-ness of it all.  I love jewelry that is made from others.  I like putting on eye makeup.  I like when I get a dress that makes me feel confident and beautiful.  I like when I go on a vigorous hike.  I like playing with my hair.  Especially when it is short.

Until tomorrow.  Take care and be safe.

All my love,

Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment