Sunday, August 15, 2010

Grateful to Be An Actor

Hi Everyone,

So I got up really early this morning with the sleep still in my eyes for the last part of my seminar.  We watched a fantastic documentary on Judi Dench, which gives me chills.  We watched as Judi Dench rehearsed her role in A Little Night Music for the National Theatre in London from day 1 to opening night. Ms. Dench always leaves her bag at the door, just in case she wants to run out of fear from rehearsals.  It was so inspiring watching this extraordinary actress of legendary status talking about her insecurities and fears.  She was so truthful with those insecurities in her real person that I understood how she is able to achieve what she has.

She is brave, courageous, fierce, open, confident in her process, and laughs.  During rehearsal she would perform her scene and then do it 10 different ways and play with it.  When the director came over, she gave her full attention to him and stayed open to what he had to say and she worked his direction into her discovery.  Judi Dench never disagreed with the director, she took the notes and worked it out.  It was glorious to see.

I was talking to my dad and I said, I hope that I can be as humble as Judi Dench.  I hope that I am able to see the reality around me, the absurdity of the business for what it is and enjoy the process of the craft.  It is true that Hollywood can make you forget about it.  I don't want to talk about agents and managers.  I don't want to talk about the next project.  I want to work on scenes.  I want to work on a monologue.  I want to take a character from a play and make it mine, put it on tape and go through the process of characterization.  That is what gets me so excited about being an actor.

As a kid, I used to watch, Star Wars over and over.  I also watched "The Pirate Movie".  As a kid, I wanted to figure out how they made me so excited, or made me laugh so hard.  I could recite the dialogue to you and I would rewind scenes of television shows, so that I could figure out how they did it.  I didn't have the training to figure it out, but I was intrigued and fascinated by making something fiction seem so real.  Now, I watch movies and TV with a even more appreciative sense because now I understand the difficulty of doing such things.  I understand the work behind such scenes and arcs.  I get excited for the actor when they hit it out of the park, because they took a risk that made them so vulnerable and had the audience go along for the ride.  I am very lucky to be an actor.

Until tomorrow.  Take care and be safe.

All my love,

Tara

2 comments:

  1. This is a lovely story. I have one small correction. Judi Dench did "A Little Night Music" for the National Theatre in London, not the Royal Shakespeare Theatre. I wish I could have seen that musical with her in it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the correction! Will fix it pronto! I am glad you enjoyed the post!

    ReplyDelete