Monday, August 23, 2010

Chakras Rule!

Hi Everyone,

When I was in acting school I had a teacher named Julia Carey, who believed that we as actors instinctually, viscerally learned to be the character.  One way she used to get in touch with our bodies was energy work.  I had already begun learning about chakras.  There are seven within the body that travel from your feet, where you are grounded all the way to the top of your head and beyond.  I identified with Julia's technique because it was something I had been working with myself, but never thought to put into practice toward my acting technique.

Lately, I have noticed that I have a sore throat and that my lower back hurts no matter how much I stretch or drink hot tea.  If I was to apply the chakra practice into my symptoms I would be told, that I am not voicing things that are bothering me for my sore throat.  My lower back pain would be associated with my root chakra which deals with survival, money, job, success and is also the place where manifestations stem from.  So I would be told that I am worrying too much about  money, job, success and letting fear take over my dreams.  These are all true.  My thoughts are greatly filled with thoughts of "How will I have enough money?  Will I ever get the big break?  How do I juggle my acting with my day job and be successful enough to focus just on acting?  Will I be a waitress for the rest of my life?"  As I am writing this I am keenly aware of how my back has slouched inches down into a slump.

This is where meditation works for me.  To envision a fantastical heavenly place of safety and love that is bright and colorful and push all those dark thoughts out of my mind.  I have also learned through Julia the importance of breath work.  While I am meditating I am able to focus my breath onto the pain and slowly get rid of it.  When it first happened for me I actually thought, "This is a miracle!"  I began to pay attention to my body and what it was saying to me.  My body has never been wrong.  It has always guided me to the right place, person, event, or lesson I have needed in my life.  There is a great power in instinct, a greater power than our culture gives it credit for.  Do you have any stories of how your gut told you to do something everyone else told you not to?  I would love to hear them.

Until tomorrow.  Take care and be safe.

All my love,

Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment