Sunday, August 8, 2010

Autumn Dreaming

Hi Everyone,

My roommate has just booked her trip to the East Coast.  She has to go to DC for a conference, but before she does she is going to enjoy a week in NYC and a day in Philadelphia.  I was talking to her, telling her places to go and wishing in the back of my mind that I could go with her.

It worries me that she is going to NYC by herself for a week.  She has traveled the world, but she reminds me so much of my sister that I worry that she would be targeted by crooks in a minute by herself.  I also am jealous  that she is going to all the places that I have people I would love to see in each city.  Knowing that I know each of those cities pretty well I could navigate through them with ease and Jen could just enjoy the sights.  Since I don't have an income I am giving her all the information I can so that she can be as informed as possible so she doesn't stand out as much.  I hope it is enough.

We watched Billy Elliott tonight and in a scene they showed it was winter time and I actually had a pang in my chest to be cold and wrapped up in a huge comforter or a warm sweater.  I think now that I have been here for 8 months, my memory longs for familiarity.  I will always love the autumn on the East Coast.  The coolness of the days and nights.  The changing of the leaves, the time to make pumpkin pie and butternut squash soup.  In all the newness of California everything seems too good to be true.  My mind and body appreciate the weather, but after a while there are traditions and old habits I really liked about the changing seasons which I won't be practicing anymore.  As I have said, since the weather is so stable here, I don't crave heavy things during the winter.  Maybe I need to travel a little up north to go see some trees changing colors and wear a heavy sweater for the weekend.  I will let you know if I do it in October :)

Until tomorrow.  Take care and be safe.

All my love,

Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment