Friday, July 23, 2010

Oh Romeo!

Hi Everyone,

I brought Jen to see Romeo and Juliet at the Knightsbridge tonight.  It is a new take on the old story.  It was set in 1978 NYC Studio 54 and Juliet was a drag queen.  It was hysterical!!!  The fight scenes were disco dance offs and Juliet was a feisty queen at that.  The New York accents were all over the place.  Some sounded British, others Southern, one sounded Bostonian and others just gave up.  But it worked, it was kitchy like John Water's Hairspray.  The cast was having a blast and they replaced the Friar with a Sensei who was blind.  Oh the hijinks!

Thankfully, since it took 2 hours to get to the show because of a brushfire and a car accident, I was able to give Jen the paraphrased version of the story of Romeo and Juliet.  She didn't realize it was written in old English, so it helped that I pointed out who was who in the disco.  With that the two of us were able to enjoy the goings on of the story and laugh with delight over the interpretation.

As if I haven't said it before, I am really excited about being part of this company.  The cast seemed to have a blast and did everything tongue in cheek.  Jen commented on how more professional the theatre was and how much more polished the acting was.  I am very fortunate to be surrounded by these actors, who are good, and are working regularly.  I am really excited to be a part of a production here.

Until tomorrow.  Take care and be safe.

All my love,

Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment