Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Layover with Raven and Karim

Hi Everyone,

Today, I got to spend the day with an old friend, Raven and her son, Karim.  They were on a layover for 8 hours until their flight to their final destination.  I met Raven back in 1999 when we were both wide eyed, young, optimistic 21-22 year olds.  More than ten years have passed and we have Mali to connect us.

We slowly reconnected after not seeing each other for 8 years and talked about life, goals, reasoning, movies, kids, anything and everything.  As we were walking on the beach, Karim was a few yards ahead of us, chasing seagulls, I was reminded of why I felt close to Raven when I was in Mali.  We were able to talk and be silent together.  As we walked in the sand, Raven was speaking of what her goals were out of life now and I couldn't help smiling, reminiscing about the same conversation in a very sandy location 11 years ago.  Life always does seem to come full circle doesn't it?  Raven and I had the same conversation, but the roles were reversed.  I was talking to Raven on what I wanted out of life as we walked around a little pond our feet covered in sandy dust.

Karim is a intelligent, cautious, playful little boy.  He is inquisitive and I found him to be very easy to talk to.  He is fascinated by how things work.  At 4 years old, he asks things like,  "Where does that bus go to, Tara?  "Do you have any trains?"  "How far away do you live from the airport?"  "When are you going to have a husband?"  "Do you want to have a baby like mommy?"  etc etc.  I have to give Raven credit.  She was able to keep Karim up after a 10 hour flight from London until 7:30pm tonight.  The poor kid had been up for 26 hours give or take a few cat naps on the plane.  Raven also was fighting to keep her eyes open and I felt bad leaving her at the airport, because I just wanted to put both of them in a wheelchair and have them wheeled to the gate.  It was a wonderful day to reconnect with Raven and get to meet Karim.  As one of the few single people left in my group of friends, it is always interesting to me to see my friends with their children because I get to see a totally different side to them than before and it is a very rewarding experience for me.  I hope Raven and Karim had a good time as well even though they were greatly sleep deprived.

Until tomorrow.  Take care and be safe.

All my love,

Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment