Monday, July 5, 2010

Cruising Along for the 4th of July

Hi Everyone,

Today, I learned the meaning of the 4th of July California style.  The 4th of July in Southern California is like New Year's Eve in NYC.  Here people have booze cruises, not on the ocean, but on their bikes.  Everyone decks their bikes up and they get dressed in the wackiest of red, white and blue I have ever seen.

The police are everywhere and they also have things called BUI, Biking Under the Influence.  I am not kidding.  It is insanity and I don't understand it.  I stayed last night with my aunt.  In the morning, my cousin Robert drove up from Orange County an hour away, parked his car at my aunt's house and then had me drive him to his brother, Brian's apt, on the beach at 10am so that they could start drinking.  When I entered Brian's apt. everyone was in their bathing suits and drinking a beer.  I am not sure any of them slept at all, but they were feeling good at 10am.  Even when I was 21 drinking at 10am on the East Coast would have been frowned upon.  I watch these "men" at 28-31 acting as if they are still in college.  It is a sad aspect of the culture here.  There are so many older adults acting as if they are in college, but their bodies, faces, and pure drunkenness makes them look foolish and I feel embarrassed for them.

Tonight, at work we had  many drunk adults make fools of themselves by letting the drink talk for them.  By the end of the night, my patience was wearing thin and I just wanted to go home.  It wasn't fun anymore.  You know that feeling of the buzz finally not feeling so good.  Yeah, that was the end of night for me.  My customers were obnoxious, loud and embarrassed by the end.  It is a shame, that people do this for "recreation".  Alcohol for me was never about getting wasted.  Of course I loved feeling that buzz where everything felt just a little more happy, a little more better and I woke up bright eyed and bushy tailed the next morning.  Not to say, that sometimes I have overindulged in said alcohol to disastrous results that have left my ego and my body bruised.  Maybe, that is why I feel so sad for these people.

Now, I am just tired and glad to be home, sober.  Until tomorrow.  Take care and be safe.

All my love,

Tara

1 comment:

  1. nice blog.. have a view of my blog when free.. http://www.lonelyreload.blogspot.com .. do leave me some comment / guide if can.. if interested can follow my blog...

    ReplyDelete