Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Checking Off My List

Hi Everyone,

So tonight at work I realized how much I enjoy my job so far.  Everyone knows the mundane ritual we all do before work, but as soon as I get to work I realize how much it coincides with the list I made.  Let me digress.  When I worked at Heartland Brewery in NYC the owner of the restaurant was a very unhappy man (that is putting it lightly).  All of the employees hated when he came in the restaurant because he would order things not on the menu and ask for things we would have to search for, while also expected to cater to 10 other tables in our section and adhere to Heartland values.  When I worked at Heartland, I always wondered wished that my sections weren't so big, because I would rather cater to 6 tables instead of 10-12 and give good service.  It was expected of employees to give world class service to a section that could seat up to 40-46 people.  During holiday season in NYC which was from Halloween to New Years Day I would be running, I am not exaggerating, running around giving the worst service of my life and so stressed out with the volume of people that every night I told myself "the money isn't worth it".  The only thing that made Heartland a gift to me was the people I worked with.  I had a lot of fun with them and made some wonderful friends.

I wondered if there was a restaurant out there where I would be able to soak up the sun.  Where I would know my customers and they would come and visit me every so often.  I wondered if I would be able to have a boss that was nice and said hello when you greeted him and didn't do shady bookkeeping.  I wondered if I would be able to do my job but have fun doing it at the same time.  Tonight, I realized I worked a shift at The Beer Garden that was all those things.  My dreams came true.  I have my first real "regulars".  I got to sit down with them and talk tonight while taking care of my other tables.  I had conversations with all of my tables and they even understood when I had to move on to talk to other customers.  I got to work outside in the sun and cool night air.  I work for men that are kind but fair businessmen.  My sections are at most 6 tables, so that I am able to give world class service that goes above and beyond and I don't mind going the extra mile.  I also work with some very cool people.  They come from everywhere, similar to NYC and it makes me smile.  I am very grateful!

Until tomorrow.  Take care and be safe.

All my love,

Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment