Monday, May 31, 2010

Summa...Summa Time...

Hi Everyone,

Today was a good day at work.  The weather is getting to be gorgeous on a regular basis.  No matter how high the SPF is on my sunscreen I still seem to get a sunburn.  So I have accepted that I will have tank top lines on my body no matter what.  I am really enjoying working outside.  Now I don't feel as if I have missed out on something.  I remember every other job where I hated that I would come out of a air conditioned office to a beautifully warm summer day.  I would only have a few hours of sunshine and it was mostly in my car.  Now I get to enjoy the sunshine and talk with people and do my job.

Since all my shows are over for the season I am now trying to make a list of books I would like to borrow from the library to read this summer.  In high school, I was in honors English class and I always looked forward to the August summer reading list we would receive before school started.  Granted, I didn't fully comprehend some of the titles (that would be you, Don Quixote), but as I grew older I have reread the books I had to read in high school.  Don Quixote is definitely a densely interesting story of a very peculiar man.  I didn't get the humor when I was a junior, but as a 25 year old, I thought he was hysterical. I figure that Monty Python and the Holy Grail's Arthur has traits that are very Don Quixote like.  When I was a junior I found I loved the writings of Edith Wharton.  In almost every story she has a woman who is an outcast from society for whatever reason and tells how they are able to live with the choices they made.  I identified with these women.  I understood their reasoning.  I understood that Wharton must of been a very strong woman herself to be able to write such heavy stories about controversial themes of the time.  Honors English was also the class I learned to appreciate Shakespeare.  In freshman year, we read Romeo and Juliet aloud and it was the first time I understood what that so called English meant.  During my senior year, I had to buy the full works of Shakespeare and we read each and every play.  It was also during that time that Kenneth Branagh and Emma Thompson were making Shakespearean movies like, Henry V, Othello, and Midsummers Night's Dream.  I would have loved to see their version of Taming of the Shrew since that is my favorite Shakespeare play, but I it seems I may have to produce that myself.  Who is with me?!

What are some of the books on your summer reading list?  I would love to hear them.

Until tomorrow.  Take care and be safe.

All my love,

Tara

1 comment:

  1. I just bought "The Carrie Diaries" by Candace Bushnell, it's a bit of a guilty pleasure for my trip to Mexico, I don't want to have to think at all! I'm also bringing "Pretty in Plaid" by Jen Lancaster w/ me, it's her 4th book, and she's always good for a laugh... I have "Sense and Sensibility", but I think I'll leave that one out for this trip ;)

    ReplyDelete