Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Lights on Broadway

Hi Everyone,

I was reading my most recent issue of Entertainment Weekly and got a ping of homesickness for NYC.  It was because of the Broadway shows that have opened recently, that I would love to have seen.  Fences by August Wilson, which is my favorite of his plays is now on Broadway starring, Denzel Washington and Viola Davis.  Everyone knows who Denzel is, and Viola Davis gave a fantastic performance in the movie Doubt with just one scene.  When I read articles of productions like this, I get excited.  Like Christmas morning excited and I find an Easy Bake Oven under the tree, excited.  I get excited when movie stars do theatre work because I truly believe that theatre is where all actors found out they loved to be an actor.  When I was 5 my kindergarten class put on a Christmas/Hanukkah show and I had so much fun!  I loved it.  Then came dance recitals and school plays.  I was hooked.

Also, Sean Hayes and Kristin Chenoweth are in a new musical, Promises, Promises based on the movie The Apartment.  The great thing about the musical is that it has songs I already know and grew up on listening to the Motown music stations.  Plus, I always like to watch actors and actresses that are considered theatre "greats" perform.  What is it about them that stands out?  Do I feel the same way?

For instance, I saw the play Frost/Nixon multiple times and I am still floored by Frank Langella and Michael Sheen.  Now, if they are on TV or in a movie I watch them no matter what.  I have always wanted to see Angela Landsbury on Broadway, but never got the chance.  I also never got the chance to see Bernadette Peters, even though I bumped into her 3 times while living in NYC.  I am afraid that she has retired.  I did get to see Patti Lupone in Sweeney Todd.  Of course I wish I saw her in Evita or Les Miserable, but I couldn't complain with Todd.  Another actress I would have loved to see was Dorothy Loudon, Mrs. Hannigan from the original cast of Annie.  I used to have the album, it was my first record as a kid.  She had such a voice, that was raspy and strong.  I loved it.  And then of course there is my all time favorite singer, Julie Andrews.  I wasn't born early enough to see her on Broadway, so I live through her movies.  I could listen to her all day.

One day I will star on Broadway and perform eight shows a week.  I have to give back what Broadway gave to me, right?

Until tomorrow.  Take care and be safe.

All my love,

Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment