Sunday, April 18, 2010

My Life is Broadway Tune

Hi Everyone,

This morning I woke up with the song, "I Dreamed a Dream" from Les Miserable in my head.  Throughout the day, I have been humming all sorts of Broadway tunes, such as "Memory" from Cats, "Maybe This Time" from Caberet, "All That Jazz" from Chicago, "I Don't Need Anything But You" from Annie and "Day by Day" from Godspell.

When I was 4 or 5, I was living in Brooklyn and my mom and grandmother brought me to see the Broadway show, Annie.  I remember being mesmerized by the energy that I was getting from the orphans. I remember distinctly thinking, "I can do that! I want to do that!"  It seemed like so much fun.  This past year when I visited my parents in Vegas, we went to see The Jersey Boys.  Thirty years had passed, but I still got the same reaction.  My body got goosebumps and I was inspired to make others feel the same way I did watching the performances.

There are certain things I am positively sure feed my soul.  1.  Live plays and musicals. 2.  Riding a bike along the beach with friends.  3. Traveling to new places. 4. Hearing little children laughing. 5. Watching movies and television programs that inspire me with their performances.  6.  Anytime my parents, brother, sister and I can be in the same room.  Those are just to name a few things.  It is funny to see the list because some of it is so simple and common and other things are more extravagant.

Last year, I was having a hard time coming to grips with the life of an actor.  So for six months I traveled around the U.S. and Ireland.  I did most of it by myself.  I hadn't traveled by myself since I was a child.  It was the first time I would be going to a different country by myself.  I had the feeling I needed to do it, just because.  My visit to Ireland at times was boring and lazy and at other times was exciting and magical.   While I was there, I remember vividly that I hummed the song, "I Have Confidence" from the Sound of Music.  Traveling does that for me, it gives me confidence in my abilities.  Hearing little children laughing lets me know how much love I have for others in my heart.  I realize how lucky I am to have such loyal friends when I am biking along the beach.  Watching movies and television programs that inspire me gives me the hope that I have the ability to succeed way over the limit I thought possible. Being able to understand that when I want to give up on my dream all I have to do is remember how I felt that first time I saw Annie.  My body remembers how alive I felt.   Whenever I am around my family I feel whole.

That I believe is what we are all striving for.  To feel whole.  To adapt and search for what makes us feel whole as a person as time changes.  All of the songs I was humming today had to deal with either coming to grips with the life you have vs. what you dreamed your life would be or no matter what obstacles come my way I will persevere.  All of the songs resonate with me.  They are a mirror into my soul trying to figure out what it is I need to do to make myself feel whole.  What are some of the songs that stick in your head?  Do they resonate with you?

Until tomorrow.  Take care and be safe.

All my love,

Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment