Monday, April 26, 2010

Figuring Out What Makes Me Tick in L.A.

Hi Everyone,

This past weekend my sister went to NYC to celebrate her boyfriend's birthday.  She called me for advice on where they should go to eat and what show they might like.  I suggested Avenue Q and this great French restaurant Chez Napolean on W. 50th Street between 8th and 9th Ave.  Megan called me tonight to tell me the weekend was a great success.  I was thrilled.  The one thing I miss about NYC is the ability to see such great live shows and having the ability to pick from so many.  L.A. has two main theatres where you can see Broadway shows.

I saw Avenue Q 4 times when I lived in NYC.  I saw Frost Nixon 4 times and Doubt 5 times.  I saw 39 Steps which was fantastic and Putnam Spelling Bee before it retired.  I got to watch Cate Blanchett at BAM work alongside Hugo Weaving in the Sydney Theatre Company's version of Hedda Gabler.  I am sure there are great shows all around L.A. they just don't have the resources or the clout to advertise.  Plus this is Tinseltown, not the Great White Way.

I am glad that my sister has NYC so close by to take advantage of what the city has to offer.  I realize that I have to find what it is in L.A. that makes my heart go pitter patter.  L.A. is a big club town.  I have never been a club person.  I also haven't been a big bar person either, so I used theatre as my night on the town in NYC I can't do that so much in L.A.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I would love to hear some.

Until tomorrow.  Take care and be safe.

All my love,

Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment